Sunday 24 August 2008

Goodbye Olympics 2008

Today was the closing ceremony of the Olympics '08 games. As expected the host country displayed a spectacular ceremony (view my previous post on the Opening ceremony). Well done to everybody who has contributed, volunteered, participated , watched , listened etc to the Olympics '08! Now they are talking about a smaller scale ceremony for the 2012. Now I do not want to sound sceptical but I think that is a lot cheap advertising. Okay maybe China has over done it a bit, but isn't that the point of being a great host country ? That a host country is able to use it's resources to show the world what they are capable of? It wasn't tacky , well to me personally it was HUGE with fireworks left right centre of the the 'birdnest'. It was mesmerising and the element of culture in the ceremony was just brilliant.

Before, I thought the drums-beating-countdown was amazing during the opening ceremony, however the fireworks countdown for the closing ceremony just took my breath away and left me gobsmacked!

Well we would just have to wait and see how small scale the next Olympics would be. BTW I thought B. Johnson was really funny (in a nice way) when he stood by the President of IOC and the Mayor of Beijing. His suit looked like it wasn't altered properly and he was the only one that didn't button up. And the poor guy had so much trouble getting the Olympic flag untangled :) but so did the Mayor of Beijing Guo Jinlong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails